Uganda’s Chief of Defence Forces, Gen. Muhoozi Kainerugaba, has furiously denied allegations that soldiers under his command assaulted Barbara “Barbie” Kyagulanyi, wife of opposition leader Bobi Wine, during a dramatic late-night raid on their home.
The denial comes after Bobi Wine, currently in hiding, accused armed military officers of storming his residence, holding his wife at gunpoint, assaulting her, and confiscating documents and electronic devices. He also claimed the home remains surrounded by soldiers.
Speaking from her hospital bed, Barbara Kyagulanyi recounted a horrifying ordeal.
She said dozens of men some in military uniform broke into her home demanding to know her husband’s whereabouts. When she refused to cooperate, she says the officers turned violent.
“One of them hit me in the face and tore my lip. Another lifted me by my trousers while someone else choked me,” she narrated.
Barbara further alleged that an officer pulled off her blouse, leaving her partially naked, dragged her by the hair, and continued beating her until she lost consciousness.
According to Bobi Wine, his wife was later rushed to hospital suffering from physical injuries and psychological trauma.
On Monday, Gen. Muhoozi took to social media to dismiss the accusations.
“My soldiers did not beat up Barbie [Bobi Wine’s wife]. First of all, we do not beat up women. They are not worth our time. We are looking for her cowardly husband, not her,” Muhoozi posted.
The statement has since sparked outrage, with many criticizing the tone and wording of the message.
The incident comes in the wake of President Yoweri Museveni’s disputed re-election in the January 15 polls results Bobi Wine has rejected, citing widespread fraud.
Since then, Muhoozi who is also Museveni’s son has publicly demanded Bobi Wine’s surrender and issued thinly veiled threats against him.
Wine says he remains in hiding for safety:
“Muhoozi is still looking for me and issuing threats to harm me. I thank the people who continue to keep me safe. My wife is recovering from the trauma. My home is still under military siege.”
Opposition Says Supporters Under Attack
The National Unity Platform (NUP) says its members are facing systematic targeting by security forces.
Muhoozi recently claimed security agencies had killed 30 opposition supporters and detained over 2,000 following post-election unrest — figures the opposition strongly disputes.
Meanwhile, NUP ally MP Muwanga Kivumbi was arrested last week over alleged election-related violence, accusations the party denies.
The Uganda Law Society has issued a stern warning over what it calls an “ongoing wave of detentions, torture and enforced disappearances” of opposition figures.
“No one should be subjected to violence by security forces under the pretext of national security,” the body said.
A Nation with No Peaceful Power Transition
Uganda has never experienced a peaceful presidential power transfer since independence. Museveni, who first seized power as a rebel leader in 1986, is now set to extend his rule to 45 years by 2031.

